December 20, 2016 – Incorrectly discarded fireplace ashes caused a fire that gutted a Rockville home on Tuesday night. RVFD Station 3 and other Rockville and Montgomery County units were alerted for a house fire at about 9:40p. Due to numerous calls to 911, PSCC alerted the rapid intervention dispatch units prior to any first alarm units’ arrival. When Station 3 units arrived, they found a large 2-story single family home with heavy fire showing in the attached garage with extension up the side and rear of the house, into the attic and second floor. Units initially attempted a coordinated interior and exterior attack, but due to the heavy volume of fire, transitioned to an all exterior attach using master streams and large diameter hose lines. Complicating the fire attack was a car on fire in the garage that was also leaking gasoline.
Crews brought the fire under control within 30 minutes and then entered the house to extinguish hot spots and check for any further extension. They found the home to be essentially gutted by the fire. Investigators determined that the fire was caused by fireplace ashes placed in the garage. The occupants also apparently attempted to extinguish the blaze prior to calling the fire department, who were alerted by neighbors. No injuries were reported.
Units responding: E703B, E733, E723, E710, E726, AT703, T723, RS703, A703, BC703 (command), VBC703, BC702, C705, C703H
Rapid intervention and additional: T710, RS741, M703, MAU733, Canteen 733