RVFD happily accepts donation of old vehicles. Donated vehicles are used for training purposes and are not re-sold. Once donated, RVFD is fully responsible for disposal. All vehicle donations are tax deductible. To donate a vehicle to RVFD, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, contact information, year and type of vehicle and whether it runs or not. You will be contacted for further information regarding the donation.
All photos by Ed Tenney
In preparing for your donation, please ensure the following steps are completed:
- The title of the vehicle must be properly assigned to Rockville Volunteer Fire Department, Inc. This is handled in the same manner as if you were actually selling the vehicle. Be sure to fill in RVFD’s full name and address (380 Hungerford Dr. Rockville, MD 20850) under the “Assignment of Ownership” section to properly complete transfer of ownership of the vehicle to RVFD.
- The odometer mileage must be filled in on the “Maryland Certificate of Title.”
- If the giver has financed the vehicle, RVFD will need the vehicle’s “Maryland Notice of Security Interest Filing” showing the vehicle has been paid off. If that document is not available, please request a letter on the financial institution’s letterhead stating that they hold no security interest and have it signed by the financial institution’s authorized agent. The letter should also include the date of the loan’s creation, the amount, the date of its release, the name and address of the debtor, and a full vehicle description (year, make, and vehicle identification number).
- Do not leave the license plates on the vehicle. After the title is transferred, remove the license plates from the vehicle and return the plates to the MVA unless you are transferring the plates to another vehicle. You may only transfer the plates if the new vehicle is titled in the same name and the new vehicle classification is the same as the old vehicle. Keep your receipt from the MVA when you return your plates. Keep insurance coverage on the vehicle until the date the plates are returned to the MVA or transferred to the new vehicle.
- Cancel the vehicle insurance for the donated vehicle. To avoid penalty fees, cancel the vehicle insurance only after the plates have been returned to the MVA or transferred to another vehicle.
RVFD will the owner with a receipt for tax purposes for the donation of the vehicle. All donations to RVFD are fully tax deductible. Check with your tax adviser on how to estimate the value for tax purposes.