Every year fire departments in the Washington, DC area respond to house fires caused by improperly discarded fireplace ashes. Just four days before Christmas, RVFD responded to a fire caused by improperly discarded fireplace ashes that caused over $600,000 in damage and left the occupants homeless.
Please remember to properly dispose of fireplace ashes. Hot embers can remain for days, even when the ashes appear cold.
- Do not discard your ashes into any combustible container such as a paper or plastic bag, a cardboard box, or a plastic trash can.
- Do not place ash containers on decks, porches or in garages.
- Put ashes into a non-combustible metal container with a lid.
- Pour water into the container to make sure the ashes are cool.
- Keep your can OUTSIDE the home, away from your fireplace or stove and anything combustible.
- Teach all family members to be safe with ashes from your fireplace or wood stove.